Wednesday, February 17, 2010

You Gotta Try This

If you have these...
and these,

then you can make this in just one hour!

My Mother-in-Law's Brown Bread. While she did not create this recipe, she introduced me to it two years ago. It is very good straight from the oven, but it is DELICIOUS when you toast a slice of it the next morning and top it with a little butter. The brown sugar in it gets a little nutty when it toasts. Mmmm, mmm, mmm.
Found in The Beaufort Gazette,
Bridie Meyers says that she grew up eating this bread almost every day in County Mayo, Ireland. She makes a lot of it each year for the Christmas bake sale at the Irish American Heritage Center.

Whole Wheat Bread
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
½ cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 ½ cups buttermilk
¼ cup butter (1/2 stick), melted

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Mix together the flours and other dry ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in the egg, buttermilk and butter. Mix with a wooden spoon just until the dough forms a ball.

Press into a greased 9-inch round pie dish. Bake until deep brown, about 50 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
My advice is not to slice the bread into wedges, like a pie. Make long slices starting from the middle and then continue out towards the ends. And don't forget to save some to toast in the morning! You will not be disappointed. I promise.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm.I haven't tried my hand at wheat bread yet. That looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I'll have to try this for sure. I just bought a bread maker, but I like to make bread fresh out of the oven as well. Of course I'm living in the land of bread right now and LOVING it!

    ReplyDelete